Thursday, November 28, 2013

Van Battle Royale

*BING!* *BING!* *BING!* The seat belt reminder light on the dashboard of my semi-new-to-me Toyota Sienna flashes faster and faster. I think... You can't tell me what to do!! I will put my seat belt on when I am good and ready!

I have somehow gotten into an ongoing battle with my bossy van and though I may have already started driving, I can't bring myself to
put the belt on until it stops yelling at me.

Where does this rebellious streak come from? Is it some reaction to my first husband controlling my life? Or the new found freedom of being able to make my own decisions after 15 years? Maybe it is really pride and I need to be a bit more teachable.

The Hubs says I am the boss in the relationship. If he tells me to do the simplest thing, like "Come here and sit down!", my instinct is.... excuse me?

Its not that I have to get my own way all the time. I would be willing to do anything, you just have to ask. I must have the choice.

The worst trigger for this prideful rebellion is advise premised by "You Should..." as in "You should get into scrapbooking" or "You should put your kids in a sport" You should....

I should what? I should take your advise? I should live my life your way?

The only thing I SHOULD do is stop fighting with my van and put on my seat belt!
Oops, was that rebellious?

No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like: