Thursday, November 14, 2013

Better stock up on Giant Marshmallows!


We haven't been on vacation in over 2 years. The last time, we took all the kids camping in Drumheller.

 I think.

When I was working, we had 2 weeks vacation time every year that we had to take. I was in no position financially to go anywhere. I had just gotten out of school,  had recently left my husband and was trying to keep 3 teenage boys fed. My vacation time was spent
deep cleaning my house and catching up on sleep and reading. Yeah, a real staycation!

When the hubby and I were dating, we took all the kids camping a few times. The most memorable was the trip to Drumheller. That was where I found out how much of a freak out hubs can have because of an injury. My step daughter was 5 at the time and she got smacked in the eyelid with the handle to the water pump in our campground. It took several alcohol wipes and some steri strips but I got her fixed up despite her Dad offering her his wallet to bite down on and his frantic waving of arms. I had to send him away finally to wait out the trauma in the van.

We camped TONS with the ex husband. Almost every weekend all summer long for 15 years. We had the massive RV and all. Although I enjoy camping, that is all we ever did. I would LOVE to go somewhere the rooms come cleaned and the food is hot and not cooked over a fire! My dream would be to go on a cruise to anywhere or everywhere.

In high school, I took my scuba course. My boyfriend at the time was a diver and so he accompanied me on my open water certification dive. It was in a freezing cold lake in Jasper, Alberta. Later after I had 2 of my  boys, I took a trip by myself to said Jasper and took an advanced open water course.  That was the last time I dove in "open water" -a total of 10 dives. I then worked as aquatics maintenance at West Edmonton Mall for 2 years. I think I logged about 200 dives, none of which count.

I want to dive. Somewhere the water is warm enough you don't need a dry suit. And clear enough you can see the fish. Maybe with sharks, or dolphins.

I hear Peru is nice. The ruins there are supposed to be spectacular. To hike the Inca temples. Maybe slosh through the rain forest.  The diving I hear is phenomenal. Tons of fish and clear warm water.
I can just imagine the beach, sitting sipping cool drinks as attendants wait on me.  Massages, pool side. Big white fluffy robes, and huge beds with Egyptian cotton sheets and ....

*bbbbbbllllrrrrrbbbbb*  Hmm maybe next time I write about my ideal get away, I should rethink the relaxation music!  Sounds perfect though. But no kids. If there are kids, there are booboos and "i'm bored" "can we play PS3?" and clothes everywhere and fighting.

Unfortunately, with 6 kids, the youngest being 4 months old, I think our next trip will be to Jasper. Or Drumheller. In a tent. Or 3. Better stock up on giant marshmallows.


No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like: